Monday, May 11, 2009

UT Course Reviews

Well, finals are still left this week but the semester is basically over. Overall, it was a lot of hard work, a lot of sleep deprivation, and a lot of coffee, but I loved every minute of it. Here are my thoughts on the classes I took:


ANT301, Physical Anthropology with Professor Chris Kirk
This class about evolution was fun, enlightening, and I feel privileged to have taken it. Professor Kirk is freaking hilarious! There was no real homework other than studying for the exams, which were not too hard. I ended up making an 87 and would have made an A if I had studied a little harder for the second test. This is one of those classes that can change your outlook on life and help you understand who we are and why we act like we do.


ARC308, Architecture and Society with Larry Speck
Larry is a practicing architect and the former dean of UT's prestigious School of Architecture. He is also freaking hilarious. I can't really say enough about this class. It's great for anyone interested in architecture or building, or just wants to gain a better appreciation of the world we've created for ourselves. No homework other than studying for the tests and writing 3 papers. I got an A in this class, as should anyone else with decent writing skills.


GOV310L, American Government with Professor Edwards
I loved this course, though I could see how others might not be so into it. I plan to eventually be active in local politics, so I really tried to pay attention. I have also spent some time overseas in various countries, and when talk turned to politics I usually just shut up so as not to expose my political ignorance. I don't think I'll have that problem anymore. Professor Edwards is a little dry, but he has some kind of engaging old-school Vietnam protester aura that I really like. Plus he looks like Longshanks from Braveheart. No homework in this class except reading lots of newspaper articles, keeping up with current events, and reading the textbook. I got an A in this class but it wasn't exactly easy.


PHY302K, Physics with Professor Na Sai
Picture this: a donkey somehow acquires one of those golden 'grills' that rappers wear on their teeth. Then the donkey holds his teeth inside a furnace, heating up his grill until it is glowing a bright red. The donkey then proceeds to bite down on your ass - hard - and won't let go no matter how much you scream and struggle. Does that sound like something that might interest you? If so, take this class. OK, to be fair, this donkey did teach me quite a bit of about how our universe works, and for that I'm grateful. I'm also grateful that an 80 was an A in this class.


PHY102K, Lab for PHY302K w/ some random Asian grad student
The PHY302K's bastard mule child that kicks you in the balls once a week. I barely managed a B in this "class". I mean seriously, the quality of teaching in this class was pretty disrespectful. Also, the RLM building that this course was taught in is an architectural nightmare. It's layout is attrocious (i.e. the escalators take to you up to a certain level, the elevators take you to other floors, there are no bathrooms in the lobby, the corridors are disorientating, etc.) and it sets the tone for the class.

No comments: