Wednesday, June 3, 2009

ACC Summer Classes

I began summer classes at ACC this week. The classes are great, but getting to and from the campus is a huge PITA. I live on the south side of Austin, the campus is on the north side, and my commute coincides with rush hour. It normally takes me around 45 minutes to make the 15 mile trip, and I can't take the bus because that would take over an hour. Also some of the people who ride the city bus scare me.

Today I started on my first oil painting in my Painting I class. Our painting professor is a massive ginger kid who probably could have been a successful ram-buster (Irish version of bronco-busting cowboy), but instead chose to become a soft-mannered art teacher. This afternoon in class I glimpsed his repressed Braveheart fury when I kept trying to make my painting 'good' instead of 'practicing basic paint application and removal techniques'. I wanted to explain to him that I needed to sell my painting to recoup some of the money I spent on the painting supplies, but I just decided it was safer to shut up and color.

No comments: