Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Winding Road

I arrived in Austin on Friday, March 4th with no job, no real civilian work experience and no place to live. My plan was - and still is - to eek out an existence in Austin while pursuing the skills and experience needed to enter into a Landscape Architecture firm and/or graduate program. Since that Friday, I have secured a hosting job at a highly-frequented Austin restaurant and found a place to live for the next few months. My hosting job pays very little, but, fortunately, the room I will be renting also costs very little, despite its prime central-Austin location. As an added bonus, my new landlord expressed interest in having me design and work on her property's landscape.

Additional work opportunities have also presented themselves, although they are not yet secured. I have been offered part-time work at a growing landscaping and design company owned by a friend of my cousin, and hopefully I will begin that job in the coming weeks. Most promisingly, I have been asked to interview at the Austin corporate headquarters of a MAJOR computer company as a contractor. This job would be a big pay increase with steady, flexible hours, and provide opportunity to be hired directly into the company.

So, all in all, I would say things are going well here in Austin :)

No comments: